Clough Farrar Gee III

European Theater

Highest rank achieved: Capt.

S/N: O-25479

Honors: D.F.C., Air Medals and a Purple Heart

Missing Air Crew Report (MACR) #5718

He was in the 9th A.F., XIX (19th) Tactical Air Command, 362 F/B Group, 362 F/B Squadron. On June 7, 1944, he left Headcorn, Kent, England to Le Havre, France on a dive bombing mission. He was flying a P-47D-22 (S/N: 42-25339). He did not return.

Arthur B. Wilcke, a pilot in another fighter in his group, reported:

“Flying green 3 on return from bombing railroad tracks, our flight was bounced by four FW 190’s. We were flying line abreast and just passed out from under a cloud layer at 2,000 feet. I called green leader (Capt. Gee) and told him to break. At the same time I broke right into the two that were on green one and two’s tails. Looking left, I saw green four start to break, but he was hit by the FW behind him. He broke right and down and continued to roll out in a 270 degree turn away from the FW that was firing at me. I saw fire from his fuselage and under the cockpit, but he still had control of the aircraft and I believe he evaded the FW on his tail. I continued to the right after the two on green one and two’s tails. By this time, they had broken off their attack and started climbing to the right through a clearing in the clouds. I followed them up above the cloud layer until they turned left and over me. I pulled back and shot a long burst out of range till my speed fell off, rolled over left and went down through a cloud. Looking for the rest of the flight, I came beneath a cloud and met six FW 190’s head on about 150 yards. A few fired but before they or I could get our sights on each other, I passed between number four and five men on the right. I pulled up into the cloud and turned 180 degrees, but did not see any when I came out of the cloud. I called green four and green leader, but did not meet any reply. I broke out into another claering and saw green leader and started to join him when we were bounced by two more FW’s. We broke again into the clouds and that was the last I saw of green leader. Coming out I saw and tried to join with green two. Again we were bounced. Green two went into a cloud and I climbed up after two FW’s, but could not close. Above the clouds I saw four more FW’s. I broke down into the clouds again. I called green two and he said he was heading out. The cloud layer was about five miles from the coast. South west of Le Havre, I broke out of the clouds and saw four FW’s at six o’clock from me, so I went 180 degrees back into the clouds making a 360 degree turn and came out again. Saw eight FW’s this time but they were out of range. I hit the deck and headed out. They followed for a short time, but gave up the chase after making landfall out, I climbed back up and joined with green two who was with the rest of our squadron. We started home and green two and I landed at an airport on the coast of England for gas.”