- Congratulations to Don Brooks, who was inducted into the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame on April 29, 2017. This honor goes to those who have made significant contributions to the advancement of aviation or manned space flight.
Don has worked tirelessly to preserve the heritage of military aviation both in Georgia and the U.S. His deep appreciation for the sacrifices made by our military veterans led him to start the Douglas 63rd Preservation Society, which has worked to advance the understanding of our nation’s aviation training heritage and preserve the WWII Primary Flight Training base and Museum. Using his amazing creative and mechanical skills, he has also recovered and restored numerous vintage military aircraft from difficult-to-access sites in Greenland and Labrador.
Don makes his restorations flyable and available to the general public and veterans. He founded the Liberty Foundation whose Salute to Veterans tours take WWII aircraft around the country to honor our veterans, preserve our aviation heritage, and educate younger generations to the high price of freedom.
Thank you, Don, for all that you do! Your induction into the Hall of Fame is well-deserved.
In the picture, Joey Hand congratulates Don on his induction.
- Two new displays have been added to the Museum: a model WWII airplane collection and a display on blackout regulations. Thanks goes to the volunteers who put these displays together.
- Our reunion was held Wednesday Oct. 19, 2016 to Sunday Oct. 23, 2016. A fun time was had by all.
- Our docent, Nicholas Allen, is a history major at Valdosta State and really likes history. He is a great asset to the Museum.
Thank you, Nick, for your efforts at the Museum!
- Reminder: the Museum is open Fridays and Saturdays from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Group tours are available on Thursdays by appointment only.
We now have teaching aids for school groups! See our link entitled “For Schools” above.
- We have a smartphone walking tour. Begin at the Museum building and open your smartphone’s browser to http://wwiiflighttraining.org/?page_id=1167 .